The questions have been grouped into three categories to help you quickly locate the information you need:

CAVAC clients

  • Do non-Canadians have access to the services of a CAVAC?
  • Yes. Any person who has been a victim of crime committed in Québec can receive assistance from a CAVAC.
  • A person is hurt while committing a crime. Is that person entitled to the services of a CAVAC?
  • No. CAVACs have been established for victims of crime and their immediate family and witnesses to a crime.
  • I was the victim of a crime as a child. Can I receive assistance from a CAVAC?
  • Yes. A victim may contact a CAVAC at any time, even if the victimization occurred many years ago.
  • My son has been the victim of a crime. Can I receive assistance from a CAVAC?
  • Yes. The victim's immediate family and dependants and witnesses to a crime can receive assistance from a CAVAC.

Assistance offered by CAVACs

  • If court proceedings initiated as a result of a crime extend over several months, will the CAVAC provide assistance throughout the process?
  • Yes. Victims are entitled to receive assistance from the CAVAC throughout the proceedings, and afterwards as well.
  • Is the assistance provided by CAVACs always one-on-one?
  • No. The CAVAC may work with the victim alone, with couples, families or groups based on the needs expressed.
  • Do I have to cover the costs of consulting a CAVAC victim support professional?
  • No. The services provided by CAVACs are free of charge and confidential.
  • Do I have to wait until court proceedings are over before using the services of a CAVAC?
  • No. There is no specific period of time within which victims should contact a CAVAC. The services of CAVACs are available at any time after a crime has been committed.
  • Can I obtain legal advice from a CAVAC victim support worker?
  • No. Only members of the Barreau du Québec may give legal advice. Members of the Chambre des notaires may act as legal advisors, but cannot represent victims in court.
  • Can a CAVAC victim support worker help me complete the application for compensation from the crime victims compensation office (IVAC)?
  • Yes. The CAVAC will inform victims of the compensation available and can help them complete the appropriate application form.
  • Can a CAVAC give me information about court dates in the proceedings concerning me?
  • Yes. CAVACs have access to court information. Victim support workers can inform victims of the progress of their case within the justice system, including the hearing dates, and let them know if they have been summoned or subpoenaed to appear.

Compensation for victims

  • If I lose my income as a result of a crime, will I be able to obtain financial compensation from a CAVAC?
  • No. CAVACs offer assistance services, not financial compensation. It is the responsibility of the crime victims compensation office (IVAC) to provide compensation to eligible victims. CAVACs can, however, inform victims of their rights and remedies, and refer them to the appropriate organizations.
  • I have been the victim of a break and enter. Can I be compensated by a CAVAC for damage to my property?
  • No. Victims of a break-in must go through their private insurance company to obtain compensation for property damage. CAVACs can, however, inform victims about other remedies available.